Mother’s Day is right around the corner and if you’re still trying to think of good gift ideas, why not try sitting down and knitting her something. One great idea to make for your mom, grandma, mother-in-law, or whoever you wish to celebrate on this special day, is the Loop Washcloth. While a washcloth may not seem like the most exciting gift, you can pair it with a basket of nice bath or shower products. Making the Loop Stitch can be a little tedious, but once you finish, this washcloth will be a great addition to anyones home spa collection!
Here’s how to get started:
- one skein Kollage Hope or about 150 yards of your favorite light weight cotton yarn
- one pair size 5 US needles
- yarn needle
20 stitches and 32 rows per 4 inches (5 stitches and 8 rows per inch) in pattern. Gauge is not critical.
Finished size is 9.5 inches wide and 10 inches long.
- Cast on 50 stitches.
- Knit four rows.
- On the next row (wrong side), make the loop stitch: Hold the yarn over your index finger and wrap the yarn around your middle finger, forming a loop around the middle finger. Knit the first stitch, but don’t take it off the needle. Slide the new stitch to the left hand needle and knit along with the old stitch, through the back loop. Continue across the row.
- On the next row, knit every stitch through the back loop.
- Repeat these six rows for pattern, continuing until the work is almost 10 inches long. Bind off after completing a row of loops and the knit through the back loop row.